Several criteria are taken into account to determine whether the aquatic center can open for public swimming. When the weather changes, we do our best to stay on top of the forecast and maximize the amount of open pool time. Depending on what time inclement weather takes place and the forecasted weather conditions, staff will re-evaluate the closure and attempt to reopen for the next time slot.
All facility closures are communicated through Rainout Line. Rainout Line is a free app that can be downloaded to your phone or it can be reached by clicking the logo above or by calling 224-238-6058 ext. 1. Rainout Line is updated regularly and indicates if the facility is open or closed.
Conditions Resulting in Closure of Aquatic Center
The following conditions will result in an Aquatic Center closure:
- Inclement Weather: The facility is currently open, but may close due to poor weather or low attendance.
- Low Attendance: When there are fewer than 25 patrons over a 60-minute time frame.
- Low Temperature: When the temperature is 65 degrees or lower.
- Safety Hazard: Any condition that creates an unsafe swimming environment.
- Swim Meets: The Main pool will close early (at 3 pm) for swim meets on dates that are still to be determined.
- Post-Season Hours: Post-season hours take effect at the end of the summer when many of our lifeguards return to school.